Local Food Cleveland

Food Safety Bills in Congress

Tell Congress:

One Size Does Not Fit All When Considering Food Safety Bills!

Small local farms and food processors are fundamentally different from huge, industrial food suppliers that ship food all over the country. Congress can and should address the problems with the
industrial food supply without harming the local food systems that provide an alternative for concerned consumers!

The U.S. Senate is considering a bill, S. 510, to reform the food safety system. Although reform of the industrial food supply is clearly needed, this bill threatens to create more problems than it will solve. S. 510 would undermine the rapidly growing local foods movement by imposing unnecessary, burdensome regulations on small farms and food processors – everyone from your local CSA to the small bakers, jam makers, and people making fermented vegetables to sell at the local farmers market.

ACTION ALERT - Call your Senators to protect local foods! Read more information here. The bill has been delayed, but is still expected to come to a vote in May.

May 2010:  the list of organizations urging Senators to support the Tester-Hagan amendment to exempt small-scale and direct-marketing producers from the most burdensome portions of the bill is now 115 strong! Read our letter here

Q&A Get the facts about Senator Tester's amendment to protect local foods.
And then call your Senators to urge them to support Tester's amendment!

Tags: S.510, Tester-Hagen, amendment, congress, food, safety

Views: 6

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I received this message from Senator Brown. I'm not very encouraged by it. More folks need to write to him.

http://brown.senate.gov/contact/

Dear Ms. Strauss:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about S.510, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Food Safety Modernization Act.

This legislation would give the FDA new authority and resources to address the food safety issues in our country. In addition, it would increase the frequency of inspections in all food facilities, and would allow the FDA to recall dangerous food products if a company fails to recall a product at the FDA’s request.

I appreciate hearing your views on this legislation. While improving our food traceability system is a high priority for me, I have concerns about creating new and un-called for requirements for farmers. As food safety legislation continues to be discussed in Congress, I will work to ensure that our farm sector is protected, and that Americans do not have to worry about the safety of the food on their dinner tables.

Should S.510 come before the Senate for consideration, I will certainly keep your views in mind. Thank you for getting in touch with me.

Sincerely,

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

RSS

© 2014   Created by Peter McDermott.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service